Experts provide tips for cooking with caution this Thanksgiving

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. That's why Michael Warzewick with the Division of Fire and Life Safety said it's a good time to think about having a working fire extinguisher in your home if you don't already have one. Keep in mind some very basic rules like being alert and don't leave your cooking area unattended.

If you are simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, use a timer and keep anything that can catch fire, away from heat. During the holidays, there tends to be more people in the home, so make sure kids are out of harms way.

"It's not just for fires, it's for a lot of the tools that we have laying around, the carving knives, electric knives, the cords hanging off the counter, the possibility of hot liquids splashing on a child, so it's best to just keep them out of the kitchen," said Warzewick.

If grease catches fire, Warzewick said if it's safe, slide a lid over the pan to put it out, but don't throw water on it. If you have a fire extinguisher, remembering the acronym P.A.S.S., which stands for pull, aim, squeeze, sweep.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus