A carbon monoxide scare triggered the evacuation of 200 congregation members from the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Fairview during a Sunday morning service.
Members reported a strange smell, and that their throats were irritated but during an investigation the Anchorage Fire Department discovered it wasn't a gas leak. Instead, someone had sprayed bear spray.
"We heard from a congregation member was that someone shot off bear spray, don't know if it was at someone or in the air," Anchorage Fire Department Senior Captain Paul Urbano said.
The person fired off the spray in the basement, and it filtered upstairs.
AFD used fans to ventilate the church, and the Anchorage Police Department is investigating the incident.
Contact Jackie Bartz firstname.lastname@example.org