A fire in a commercial clothes dryer filled the basement of the Fairbanks Correctional Center with smoke, but officials say no inmates were endangered.
The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner says the fire began Sunday at about 6:15 p.m.
The Fairbanks Fire Department says one correctional officer sustained smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene and released. Officials say the fire appears to have begun when some kitchen towels and cleaning cloths were left in the dryer.
The fire was contained to the dryer. Correctional officers used fire extinguishers to put it out.
Large fans also were used to clear the correctional center of smoke.