A tip from a Midtown motel led Anchorage police to seize a package containing an estimated $400,000 worth of cocaine and heroin Wednesday, with its recipient facing federal drug charges.

In a Thursday statement, APD spokesperson Jennifer Castro says California man Markee Allen, 27, has been charged with attempting to possess cocaine and heroin with intent to distribute it to others. The incident leading to his arrest began with members of the department’s Special Assignment Unit receiving a tip from motel staff about a suspicious package addressed to Allen, one of their guests.

A federal affidavit on the case against Allen was filed Thursday by SAU officer and APD SWAT team member Robert Wurst. In the complaint, Wurst identifies himself as a deputized officer with the federal Safe Streets Task Force working with drug, gang and weapons cases.

According to the affidavit, employees of the Motel 6 at 5000 A St. informed police Wednesday that Allen had received two FedEx packages at the motel. When a third arrived after he checked out, the staff tip prompted officers to meet Allen as he checked back in to retrieve the package.

After a K-9 unit indicated the presence of drugs in the package, Allen waived his Miranda rights against self-incrimination and spoke with police.

“Allen stated, in substance, he was attempting to pick up the FedEx box which he stated contained a kilo of cocaine and heroin,” Wurst wrote. “Allen stated this was the third parcel he had been sent that contained illegal drugs that he had received.”

Officers obtained a warrant to open the third package, seizing more than three pounds of drugs.

“A (kilogram) of cocaine was seized in addition to a half-kilo of heroin; the combined street value of the drugs totaled $400,000 and the wholesale value of the drugs was estimated at $151,000,” Castro wrote in her statement.

In addition, more than $6,000 in cash was seized from Allen, as well as a stolen .44-caliber Taurus handgun.

“Allen stated he requested and received the firearm from an associate in Anchorage as a form of protection while he was in Alaska,” Wurst wrote.

Castro says that Allen was arrested without further incident.

"He was cooperative when taken into custody," Castro said.

No local charges are pending against Allen, because the incident is now a federal case. He is expected to be arraigned Friday in federal court.