UPDATED 3/21/2014, 8:44 a.m.

Anchorage Police Department officials have identified the male discovered deceased outside Thursday morning near the 1000 block of E 3rd Ave. as 59-year-old Gregory Jack of Anchorage.

Police say Jack's next of kin have been notified.

Police are still investigating Jack's death. His body was found outside within a block of Bean's Café.

In a department release Thursday morning, APD reports the man was found near the 1000 block of East 3rd Avenue. Police dispatchers received the call at 7:03 a.m., and several APD units were still in the area on 4th Avenue Thursday afternoon.

Police and medics responding to the scene found the man outside and reported him to be unconscious and not breathing. He was declared dead at the scene.

While Anchorage police did not release the dead man's identity on Thursday, Bean's Café Executive Director Lisa Sauder says the individual did volunteer work for the organization.

"He was known to our staff and to our clients, and it's a very sad day for everyone here at the café," Sauder said.

Sauder also said everyone at Bean's Café is like a family.

"It's a very tight-knit community here and the people that come and use our facilities, they really consider each other family and our staff looks at them the same way," Sauder said. "It's heartbreaking when something like this happens."

The executive director for Catholic Social Services, Susan Bomalaski, says those on the streets should still seek shelter at night despite relatively warm days this week.

"When it's really cold during the day, people are aware of that and maybe they make plans, but when it's warmer during the day people can maybe get a little complacent and think 'Oh, I'll be okay if I sleep outside, I don't need to go outside,'" Bomalaski said. "That's just not true."

The body was also found within a block and a half of a recent shooting near 4th Avenue and Karluk Street that killed two and seriously injured one.

In an afternoon department release, police said they have "found no obvious signs of foul play" in their preliminary investigation.

An autopsy will be conducted and the man's identity released once his family has been notified.

APD spokesperson Jennifer Castro said Thursday that no details were available as to what may have caused the man's death.

Police say the death investigation is ongoing.

Channel 2's Samantha Angaiak and Josh Staab contributed information to this story.

This is a developing story. Watch Channel 2 broadcasts or check for updates.