Eielson Air Force Base officials are confirming that the base was temporarily placed on lockdown after rumors of an active shooter on base which proved to be false Friday.
According to a statement from base officials Friday afternoon, the lockdown occurred at about 11:30 a.m., after events at a 168th Air Refueling Wing facility compound.
"First responders arrived on scene and determined the situation to be a false alarm due to the testing of a public address system," base officials wrote. "The system's notification capabilities were being tested to warn base personnel in the event of emergencies."
Senior Airman Zachary Perras, in the Fairbanks base’s public affairs office, told Channel 2 that an all-clear had sounded shortly after noon.
“There was a lockdown,” Perras said. “It was a false alarm.”
Perras says officials aren't sure exactly what was being broadcast over the PA system that triggered the lockdown.
"Right now we're still trying to figure that out," Perras said.
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District officials say public schools on base are not on lockdown.
The Eielson incident comes after parts of Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage raised security levels on Oct. 24, following similar rumors last week.
Eielson officials are investigating the nature of Friday's false alarm.
Editor's note: Senior Airman Zachary Perras' name has been corrected from "Ferris," as it appeared in an initial version of this story.
Channel 2’s Joshua Staab contributed information to this story.
This is a developing story. Please check KTUU.com and the Channel 2 newscasts for updates.