A Fort Wainwright soldier originally from Ohio is being held on military charges, in the Friday death of his 3-year-old son at his family’s residence on the Fairbanks base.

According to a Wednesday statement from U.S. Army Alaska spokesperson John Pennell, the soldier -- 23-year-old Sgt. Nathaniel E. Ulroan -- was treated for injuries related to the incident at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, then transferred to the Fairbanks Correctional Center for pretrial confinement.

Ulroan currently stands accused of one count each of premeditated murder, kidnapping, assault consummated by a battery and communicating a threat, as well as two counts of aggravated assault.

“Ulroan, a native of Berea, Ohio, is being held at the Fairbanks Correction Center awaiting an Article 32 pretrial hearing to determine whether sufficient evidence exists to warrant trial by court-martial,” Pennell wrote.

U.S. Army Alaska spokesperson Lt. Col. Alan Brown says the death has had a major impact on Fairbanks soldiers and their families.

"Any time the military community loses one of its own family, it's a tragedy," Brown said. "Whether it's a soldier or a family member in this case, it's very shocking and very saddening that something like this has happened."

An Army soldier since 2008, Ulroan has served at Fort Wainwright since December 2012 as a combat engineer with the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division. He was previously stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington, from which he deployed to Iraq for three months during Operation Iraqi Freedom and one year in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom.

Brown says that despite the shock of last week's events, Ulroan's family isn't facing their aftermath alone.

"The community has been very supportive of the family and is doing everything they can to help the family through this difficult time," Brown said.

Channel 2’s Austin Baird contributed information to this story.

This is a developing story. Please check and the Channel 2 newscasts for updates.