Anchorage police have identified an armed man who surrendered to officers and was arrested at a Midtown home early Friday, ending an overnight standoff involving his own children.

APD spokesperson Jennifer Castro says 30-year-old Thi Chau has been charged with third-degree counts of assault and criminal mischief, fourth-degree counts of misconduct involving weapons and controlled substances, and one count of reckless endangerment.

Police dispatchers received a call reporting shots fired at the home, near the intersection of 50th Avenue and Laurel Street, at about 11 p.m. Thursday. Chau's children, ages 4 and 6, were both present.

"Basically, what we were told was that people inside the residence heard a couple of shots fired," Castro said. "They evacuated the residence, and then we had learned that there was a male inside the residence with two young children, possibly with a weapon."

Responding officers, including APD's Special Assignment Unit, found some residents already outside, with others still evacuating as they arrived. Officers were able to talk Chau, who was wielding a handgun, out of the home before his arrest at about 3:30 a.m.

"APD's SWAT team was called out to the scene to initiate negotiations with the armed male who was continually brandishing a gun in front of officers," Castro wrote in a Friday statement on the case. "At 3:39 a.m. the male subject came out of the residence and surrendered to police."

According to Castro, Chau exhibited "erratic and irrational" behavior during the standoff consistent with being under the influence of drugs, although that hasn't yet been verified by toxicology tests.

"We believe he was under the influence of a substance, and a substance was found on him during booking," Castro said.

Police employed only negotiation to effect Chau's surrender, without the need to resort to less-lethal options.

"We had everything ready, but fortunately we didn't have to employ any of them," Castro said.

Castro downplays initial descriptions of the incident by officers at the scene as a hostage situation, which involves holding people against their will. She notes that other residents of the home were able to leave, and that the children didn't try to depart the home.

"He wasn't holding anyone at gunpoint or anything like that; he was just conducting erratic behavior in the presence of his children that could have gone the wrong way," Castro said. "There were no injuries as a result of this incident -- just lots of fear."

Chau is being held at the Anchorage Jail.

Channel 2’s Caslon Hatch contributed information to this story.