The National Transportation Safety Board says both the airframe and engine of an aircraft which crashed near Eureka last fall, killing a former Alaska State Trooper, had recently been inspected before the fatal flight.

In a factual report released this week on the Sept. 5 crash of a Cessna 170B which killed 41-year-old Michael S. Zobel of Anchorage, the NTSB says the aircraft had just over 3,300 flight hours and dated back to the model year 1952. Zobel had taken off just before 8 p.m. that evening, after shooting a moose during a hunting trip and trying to locate its carcass.

“A review of the maintenance records revealed that the most recent annual inspection of the airframe and engine was on July 12, 2013, 6.1 flight hours before the accident,” NTSB officials wrote. “The airplane was equipped with a Continental Motors C145 engine, rated at 145 horsepower at 2,700 RPM. The engine was overhauled 395.3 hours before the accident.”

The NTSB also confirms information from a witness in its preliminary report, who said that he saw Zobel’s Cessna in a roughly 45 mph turn at about 80 to 100 feet off the ground before it pitched forward and crashed into the ground. The 170B has a stall speed of 49 mph.

After delays due to poor weather in the area, NTSB Alaska chief Clint Johnson and a Cessna representative reached the crash site on Sept. 8.

“All the primary flight control surfaces remained connected to their respective attach points, and flight control continuity was verified from all of the primary flight control surfaces to the cockpit,” officials wrote. “The mixture control was found in the full-forward position, and the throttle near the idle stop. The carburetor heat was in the off position. The ignition switch was in the ‘both’ position.”

Zobel held a private pilot’s license with a single-engine landing qualification, stating in documents that he had about 186 hours of total flight time, including 12 in the previous six months.

Zobel’s autopsy showed that he died of blunt-force trauma. An October FAA toxicology examination on his remains came back negative for carbon monoxide, alcohol and drugs.

The NTSB’s factual report will be followed by a report stating its probable cause for the crash, which usually follows in six months to a year.