[UPDATE Feb. 17 1:20 p.m.] ConocoPhillips Alaska spokesperson Amy Jennings Burnett confirmed Monday that either a ConocoPhillips employee or contractor was the man detained Sunday with an explosive device at the Anchorage airport.

The man was a passenger scheduled on a Shared Services flight headed to Deadhorse Sunday afternoon.

Shared Services is a "co-venture between ConocoPhillips and BP" used to transport more than 20,000 employees and contract workers every month between Anchorage, Fairbanks and the North Slope, Burnett said.

Burnett says initial investigation confirms the item was "a device typically used for avalanche control" and that "no ill will (was) intended."

Burnett said no personal information would be released about the man, nor what North Slope work would have required avalanche demolitions.

[UPDATE Feb. 17 at 6:30 a.m.] Anchorage airport police say a device they described as a pipe bomb was found in a passenger's carry-on luggage Sunday evening.

TSA agents found the small explosive in the luggage of a man headed for a North Slope flight for oil company workers Sunday afternoon, airport officials said. 

The device lacked a triggering mechanism, and officials say no one was in danger. Officials say the man claimed it was an "avalanche device."

[ORIGINAL STORY FEB. 16 at 5:47 p.m.]A passenger suspected of attempting to carry on a potential explosive device this afternoon at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport is in custody and awaiting possible charges, pending an investigation.

AirOps Duty Manager Sharon Long reports "at about 1:54 pm, a small, handmade, explosive device was found at a screening point in a carry on bag". FBI and an Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) team were called in to investigate. 

The Security checkpoint for B and C gates was closed while the EOD team safely removed the device. Once the area was secured, passengers were able to continue on to their flights. 

According to the chief of airport police, Jesse Davis, the device appeared to be a pipe bomb. The passenger told the FBI and airport police during his interview that the device was used for setting off avalanches.

Jordan Seward, an employee of the Upper One Lounge at the airport, said she was able to see security in action from a window on the second floor. "I didn't know what was going on at first, but it made me feel more safe to see how security handled the issue."

KTUU-TV Reporter Lacy Grosvold contributed to this story.

This is an ongoing news story, please check in for updates as they are reported.