Anchorage police say a man who shot himself when he was stopped in Mountain View Monday afternoon has died, after being sought by federal authorities for violating his probation in a major 2013 fraud case.

According to a Tuesday statement from APD spokesperson Jennifer Castro, 61-year-old Kenneth Browning died at a local hospital less than an hour after police pulled over his white Ford Taurus near Taylor Street’s intersection with Commercial Drive. The stop, just after 4:10 p.m., was conducted after federal agents asked for APD’s assistance with an extraditable felony warrant against Browning.

“APD officers were dispatched to assist and stopped the vehicle,” Castro wrote. “As officers approached the vehicle, the driver shot himself inside the vehicle. Medics responded and the driver was transported to a local hospital and declared deceased at 4:49 p.m.”

In March 2013, U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler’s office announced numerous charges against Browning including theft of honest services, wire fraud, money laundering and filing false tax returns against Browning. According to a federal indictment, Browning -- a former employee of the state General Services Administration -- used his position to illegally divert more than $220,000 in federal surplus property meant for state agencies or non-profit agencies to 74-year-old Jerald Briske, who paid Browning about $140,000 for the stolen goods and received 22 counts of wire fraud in the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Skrocki, who handled the original fraud case, says Browning had been released on bail, including standard conditions which barred him from committing any further crimes. Last week, prosecutors were told that he had allegedly broken those conditions.

“It came our way by the Alaska State Troopers that he was involved in a theft of construction equipment, in the amount of twenty to forty thousand dollars, which was a violation of his probation,” Skrocki said.

Skrocki says a bail hearing was scheduled for Browning at 7 a.m. Friday, but he didn’t appear. A judge issued a bench warrant for Browning’s arrest, leading APD to stop him when he was located Monday. Browning wasn’t considered a flight risk and had no prior history of violent crime.

“Apparently he pulled out a gun and decided to take his own life,” Skrocki said.

Castro says Browning’s next of kin have been notified.