A Washington father and son face criminal charges, after the father was left stranded on an island during a Father’s Day boating trip near Cordova gone badly wrong, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Cordova police informed troopers Monday that the F/V Chugach was taking on water in the vicinity of the Hawkins Island Cutoff, near Hinchinbrook Island. Troopers later determined that the incident involved two men -- 31-year-old James B. Miller of Spokane, Wash., and his father, 49-year-old James F. Miller of Cashmere, Wash.

In an email, AST spokesperson Beth Ipsen says the two men began Sunday with a celebration of the holiday in Cordova.

“They spent Father’s Day together. This included dinner and drinks on the boat,” Ipsen wrote. “Afterwards, they took the boat out (without permission from the boat owner who is a commercial fisherman).”

After the Coast Guard says the Chugach ran aground at about 4 a.m. Monday near Fish Bay, on the east end of Hinchinbrook Island, Ipsen says the evening culminated in a drunken brawl -- with the elder Miller employing an explosive device usually used to scare predators away from fishing nets.

“At one point he threw what’s called a seal bomb at his son, but it didn’t hit him and landed in the bunk next to him,” Ipsen said.

As the Chugach neared the island, the younger Miller laid down an ultimatum for his father.

“After the altercation, the younger Miller told his dad to get off the boat, which according to Miller he did,” troopers wrote in a dispatch on the incident. “The younger Miller passed out and woke up around (10 a.m) to find the vessel high and dry on a sandbar.”

The boat wasn’t permanently stuck, and the son tried to reach his dad before it left the sandbar.

“Later in the day as the tide was rising Miller texted his dad to return to the boat or he would leave him behind,” troopers wrote.

Ipsen says the threat wasn’t relayed, as the boat refloated and its engine compartment began to take on water.

“Because his dad’s from Washington, he doesn’t have cellphone reception, so he never got the text,” Ipsen said.

The younger Miller placed distress calls by radio to the Coast Guard and by telephone to police, while his father made his way along the shoreline.

“At one point he ended up curling up under a tarp -- he walked eight miles,” Ipsen said.

When Miller found shelter at an occupied cabin on the east side of the island, he initially asked its residents for walking directions back to Cordova.

“And that’s when they told him, ‘You’re actually on an island, so there’s not much point in trying to walk back to Cordova,’” Ipsen said.

The Coast Guard launched aircraft including an HC-130 search plane from Kodiak and an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Cordova, with the cutter Sycamore launching a small boat that had to turn back due to poor weather. After about an hour of searching, the chopper’s crew spotted Miller outside the cabin and flew him back to Cordova; the Coast Guard says he didn’t require any medical attention.

“The conditions were just horrible, but the Coast Guard was still out there searching for him,” Ipsen said. “The Coast Guard managed to pick him up and bring him back to the hangar, and that’s where the trooper talked to him.”

Cordova troopers arrested both men Thursday, charging both with boating under the influence of alcohol. The elder Miller faces additional charges of third-degree domestic-violence assault and fifth-degree criminal mischief, while his son is also charged with one count of vehicle theft.

Ipsen says damage dealt to the Chugach in the grounding was minor, and the vessel has since been returned to its owner and repaired.