Anchorage Police responded to a home on the 10000 block of Treeline Court early Thursday morning following a report of a shooting which claimed the life of a 20-year-old woman.

Police arrived at the scene of the incident around 12:30 a.m. after a call was made from inside the home. According to police, the caller told officers that Breanna Richelle Moore had just been shot.

Further investigation revealed Moore had sustained one fatal gunshot to the head. After an initial interview with people inside the home, police detained Moore’s boyfriend Joshua Almeda, 22, and took him to APD headquarters. Further questioning eventually led to a formal arrest of Almeda on the charges of second-degree murder, misconduct involving weapons and second-degree theft, according to police.

“Based off of interviews with the suspect and eyewitnesses at the scene, investigators felt confident to place Almeda under arrest,” said APD spokesperson Jennifer Castro.

According to the charges, Almeda "did knowingly engage in conduct under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, and caused the death of Breanna Moore," Castro added.

Based on previous convictions, Castro said, Almeda, being a convicted felon, did knowingly posses a concealable firearm as well.

Sgt. Slawomir Markiewicz, a homicide detective for APD said Almeda was living in the home with his mother. His mother was home at the time of the shooting, Markiewicz also noted.

Almeda, a former Service High School linebacker and running back, was found guilty of previous felony charges of domestic violence and theft, with other charges dating back to back as far as when the suspect was 18-years-old. Almeda had felony charges of misconduct involving a firearm dismissed after pleading guilty to DUI and possession of a weapon while intoxicated charges dating back to February 22, 2011, according to court records.

The police will continue to investigate the incident along with an APD crime scene team, police said.

Moore’s next of kin were notified.

Channel 2 reporter Abby Hancock contributed to this report.