As prosecutor Robert Henderson played Dimond Center surveillance video of a 2010 shooting, an Anchorage courtroom was quiet Thursday -- until about three minutes in, when it showed Terence Gray firing two rounds into Edwing Matos.

Matos' family sobbed as they watched the fatal shooting for the first time.

"It was extremely tough," said Matos' cousin, Dennis Johnson. "Edwing's father had to leave because he didn't want to see it."

The defense does not argue that Gray shot and killed Matos. But Gray's attorney, Brendan Kelley, calls it self-defense and says Gray "had no choice."

"What Mr. Gray did was justified, it was the only thing that he could do," Kelley said in his opening statements.

Kelley says Gray was terrified of Matos because Matos was reportedly trying to get back at the people who burglarized his home two days before. Gray knew who they were, said Kelley.

The burglars had stolen a PlayStation video game console among other items. Henderson says Matos wanted to purchase another PlayStation after his was stolen; when he searched online classified-ad site Craigslist, he found a posting from Gray.

Matos sent Johnson to go take a look at the PlayStation and Johnson bought it from Gray -- a purchase the prosecution says confirmed Matos' suspicions.

"Edwing went home, fired it up, surprise surprise: this was one of the PlayStations that was stolen from their house," Henderson said.

According to Henderson, Matos and Johnson arranged to meet with Gray at the Dimond Center to talk about the rest of the stolen property. Gray showed up in a poor disguise, attracting a lot of attention from mall customers and employees. After talking for a few minutes inside the mall, Gray pulled out a gun and shot Matos twice -- once in the head and again in the chest.

Kelley, Gray's defense attorney, says Gray felt threatened because he heard Matos tell someone over the phone that "he would have to shoot him (Gray)."

Along with first-degree murder, Gray is also charged with attempted murder and assault for allegedly trying to fire at Johnson, who was with Matos when he died. The gun did not go off.

For Johnson, the trial couldn't come soon enough. It has been more than four years since his family lost their loved one.

"This is closure; this is what we need," Johnson said. "No matter how hard it is, we're going to be there."