The annual Thanksgiving Blessing project will help families in need on Monday, allowing thousands to pick up a turkey and all the fixings for a thanksgiving meal.
There are seven sites around the Anchorage area, where people can go to pick the food, from 3 to 8 p.m., Monday (Nov. 25).
Residents are asked to only go to one of the following sites, depending on their zip code and they must bring proof of their address with them.
In South Anchorage, people can go to Cross Point Church near the Burlington Coat Factory.
In Spenard, people can head to Faith Christian Community.
Downtown residents can go to Central Lutheran Church.
People in Muldoon can head to Saint Patrick's Chuch on Muldoon Road.
In East Anchorage, people can head to the Mountain View Community Center.
In Eagle River, they can go to Joy Lutheran Church.
Breakdown by Zip Code:
- Crosspoint Church (Dimond and Minnesota, in the Burlington Coat Factory mall): 99507, 99511, 99515, 99516, 99518, 99522, 99523, 99540, 99587
- Faith Christian Community (4240 Wisconsin in Spenard): 99502, 99517, 99519
- Central Lutheran Church (Cordova and 15th): 99501-addresses WEST of Gambell, 99503, 99510, 99512, 99513, 99520, 99524
- St. Patrick’s Church (2111 Muldoon Road): 99504, 99509, 99521
- Alaska Native Cultural Charter School (550 Bragaw Street): 99501-addresses EAST of Gambell, 99508-addresses SOUTH of Glenn Hwy
- Mt. View Community Center (315 N. Price, off of Mt. View Drive): 99508-addresses NORTH of the Glenn Hwy, 99514
- Joy Lutheran Church (10111 E. Eagle River Loop Road): 99505, 99506, 99567, 99577
The Food Bank of Alaska expects to serve over 10,500 families, which includes Valley residents. The Valley Blessing took place on Saturday at six sites from Palmer to Talkeetna.
It’s the tenth year for the annual project, which is organized by the Food Bank along with several churches and faith community centers. In 2011, more than 9,500 families were assisted.
If you have questions, you can call 211 for more information.