ANCHORAGE -

Anchorage firefighters say no injuries have been reported in a fire at a South Anchorage apartment complex Friday morning.

Anchorage Fire Department dispatchers say an initial call about the fire, on the 100 block of Sweetgale Court, came in at 10:20 a.m. Twelve AFD units were dispatched to the scene, with the fire reported under control at 11:06 a.m.

The building was successfully evacuated after initial reports of the fire, relayed by a resident who spotted smoke coming from a first-floor apartment.

While dispatchers first referred to the blaze as a chimney fire, crews at the scene were unsure whether it started in one or both of a chimney flue or a garage. The fire spread to three units, said Asst. Chief of Operations Graig Temple.

"At this point the older construction is definitely a challenge," Temple said. "It takes us a lot of manual labor to actually pull the walls apart to get to where the fire is burning."

The apartment's tenant Gerald Burns received word about the fire in his home while at work.

"I got the call, came right over and this is what I found," Burns said pointing toward his burning home. "They thought it might have been the the chimney, the utility (room) or it might have been the garage."

Burns explained there hadn't been a fire in his chimney "for weeks."

"I'll be staying with a friend till I can get things figured out and then I'll go from there," Burns said. "I have no idea what else will happen from there."

AFD crews report two families displaced by the blaze, with the Red Cross working to accommodate them.

Channel 2's Joshua Staab contributed information to this story.