A woman was attacked by a brown bear while jogging Sunday with her soldier husband on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

The couple was on the Fort Richardson side of base near Fossil Creek and Pole Line Road around 11:30 a.m. Sunday afternoon.

Not long after the woman became separated from her husband, who had run ahead on the trail, she stumbled upon a 7- to 8-foot sow with two cubs.

"It was a 'wrong time, wrong place' situation," said Maj. Angela Webb, a JBER spokesperson.

The grizzly attacked, swiping at the woman and cutting her arms, legs, neck and torso. The bear let off and wandered away.

Covered in blood and drifting in and out of consciousness, still separated from her husband who was unaware of what happened, the woman managed to trek uphill in the direction of a more populated part of base.

Along the way someone spotted the injured women and helped her get to safety. Webb said the woman -- who requested to not be named -- was treated first at a JBER hospital and then transferred to Alaska Native Medical Center for further treatment.

She is in stable condition and is expected to survive.

According to Mark Sledge, a base conservation law enforcement officer, incidents involving bears are extremely rare. This is only the third in the 20 years he has worked on base.

While it is not immediately clear if the woman took precautionary safety measures to avoid incidents with bears during their increased spring activity, experts often caution that encounters can be avoided by making noise and not surprising bears.

Running along hilly areas is an easy way to appear quickly and startle a bear, and sows with cubs are famously aggressive.

All recreation areas along Pole Line Road are closed until further notice while the incident is investigated.

Webb said whatever the cause that the most important part of the story now is the victim: "It seems like she’s doing well, and that’s what matters most," she said.

Please watch Channel 2 News and check for updates to this developing story