By the Associated Press
Channel 2 News
6:32 AM AKST, December 1, 2011
Shellfish poisoning may have hospitalized one person in Southeast, according to the Department of Health and Social Services. State health officials say one person was treated over a suspected case of paralytic shellfish poisoning.
Health department spokesman Greg Wilkinson tells KINY (http://bit.ly/24LLCy) a Metlakatla family harvested cockles and butter clams, and ate them Tuesday.
One family member was hospitalized after experiencing tingling that went to the fingers and feet. Two others had symptoms including tingling in the mouth, but the feeling went away.
Metlakatla is on the west side of Annette Island, about 15 miles south of Ketchikan.