By The Associated Press
12:27 PM AKST, November 15, 2012
An unattended candle is the likely cause of a fire that destroyed a large apartment building in downtown Juneau.
Fire Marshal Denel Jager says a tenant living on the fourth floor of the Gastineau Apartments left a candle unattended in a bedroom Nov. 5.
The Juneau Empire reports the fire started on the floor and spread to a bed. The tenant returned to the apartment after being gone a short time and found the fire, which consumed the top floor of the building. Jager says the fire doesn't appear to be a case of arson.
About 50 residents have been displaced by the fire. Five people were treated for smoke inhalation and a firefighter suffered a concussion.
The building was condemned the next day.