Beginning today through October 11, the Mayor's Office of Special Events will be taking tree nominations.
Once the tree is selected the family that donated it will join Mayor Richard M. Daley on Daley Plaza for the official Tree Lighting Ceremony presented by Underwriters Laboratories, Thanksgiving week and help flip the switch. Additionally, the winner will receive decorative LED lights courtesy of Underwriter Laboratories.
In order to secure the perfect tree, a list of criteria was set by the Mayor's Office of Special Events and landscaping/tree professionals, The Brickman Group. All trees nominated must meet the following criteria to be considered.
- A Spruce or Fir tree are best and it must be at least 55 feet or more
- No pine trees, they are not sturdy enough.
- Tell us in 100 words or less why your tree should be Chicago's Official Christmas Tree and include any background information on the tree.
- Must include 3 photographs (1 from afar and 2 up close) or the tree will not be considered
- Tree must be accessible to insure a safe removal
- Must be within 100 miles from Chicago's Loop
- Must provide name, address, contact information, etc.
The winner will be announced in late October.
For more information visit: www.explorechicago.org/specialevents