A fatal fire in York County. Firefighters responded at around 6 o’clock Friday evening to a fire call with entrapment at a home in the 12000 block of Susquehanna Trail in Shrewsbury Township. The first crews on the scene reported smoke in the home. An unidentified elderly man in cardiac arrest was found in the kitchen.
Medical teams arrived to perform CPR and the victim was rushed to York Hospital where he was declared dead by the county coroner. Shrewsbury Fire Chief Tony Myers said the smoke was caused by a malfunctioning hot water heater in the basement. The gas fired appliance also filled the home with life threatening amounts of carbon monoxide. The name of the victim is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.