E-mail this image
Declutter and Clean
Buyers want to see what they are getting. Decluttering clears out extraneous, distracting materials and furnishings so buyers can quickly see the features of the house. A clean house is always more attractive to buyers.
• Remove personal mementos, such as family photos, and pack them away.
• Edit collections and consider packing fragile items and storing offsite.
• Remove and securely store valuables and important documents.
• Consider off-site storage for holiday decorations, sporting goods, tools, bulky memorabilia, off-season clothes and toys.
• Decide on a strategy for quickly tidying the house, especially if you have young children. For example, edit the toy selection and agree that toys will be swept into two large laundry baskets and stowed in the children┐s closet.
• Wash windows inside and out.
• Vacuum window treatments.
• Wash floors.
• Deep clean the bathroom and kitchen.
• Wipe out pantry and cabinet shelves; consider out-of-sight storage for prescription drugs.
• Organize closets.
• Wipe out the inside of light fixtures.
• Replace all light bulbs.