Summer is here and far too many people have been sitting indoors from a long winter and spring and need to get out of the rut. The best way to turn your life around is to step outside this summer and spend some more time with nature.
The sun's healing powers are very real, and you will feel like a new person if you commit to getting outside every single day to enjoy the sunshine.
Here are 10 great reasons why you should get out of the house this summer.
1. Vitamin D - Summer means there will be plenty of sunshine around and if you are someone who sits indoors all the time then you are probably deficient in vitamin D. Go fill up your tank with tons of great vitamin D by spending summer in the great outdoors. Vitamin D can help in numerous ways: strengthens bones, strengthens immune system, decreases depression, prevents disease, and even increases lifespan.
2. Physical fitness - The best time of year to pick up a new sport is summer time. Get out and start jogging, swimming, playing in the park, or anything that gets your body moving. The small effort to be active this season will pay huge dividends for your health, weight, and how you feel overall.
3. Personal relationships - All of your friends are heading outdoors for the summer. It is the perfect time of year to rekindle relationships and build new ones by going out socializing. Group spots, camping, and a day at the pool are just a few ways to spend some quality time with friends under the sun.
4. Baseball season - America's pastime is back in full swing, and what better way to spend time outdoors than supporting your home team and going to a live game. Turn that TV off, call some friends, and head down to your local ballpark where you can appreciate both your team and the summer weather at the same time.
5. Vacation time - Whether you have been saving up that one week or have several weeks of vacation time ready to use, this summer is a perfect excuse to use it. Take a week off and head to the hills where you can enjoy hiking, fishing, and biking. Or, go visit family and play some outdoor games.
6. Beaches and lakes are warm - The water is warming up, which means it's time to head to the nearest water. It can be a fun lake nearby or the river. Both are a fun place to hang out in the summer. You will be happy you got yourself out of the house when you are waterskiing or jetskiing with all of your friends.
7. Better sleep - Getting outdoors and exercising or just being active will help burn some energy that will then result in a better night's sleep once you are back home. It has been proven that people who spend more time outdoors sleep much more soundly than people who sit inside all day.
8. Increased oxygenation - Breathing in the fresh air actually has health benefits. When you spend time outdoors, it increases your body's oxygenation and therefore your blood circulation. Better blood circulation results in more energy and increased mental awareness. So if you want to think more clearly, go outside and get more blood pumping into your brain.
9. Relieve stress from the winter - A lot of people have been cooped up indoors throughout the winter and even spring time. Stress builds up and depression sinks in where you have been in a dark house for too long. When you go outside and take a breath of fresh air you will instantly feel less stress and have a happier outlook on the day.
10. Improved eyesight - Staring at a computer or TV takes a toll on your eyes and you can reverse those effects by spending time outdoors. When your eyes can focus on a large landscape instead of a small screen, it reduces nearsightedness. which is why most people need glasses.