By Noelle Carter
9:53 AM AKST, December 12, 2012
Because of their rather tough texture, greens such as kale are often cooked to tenderize them before serving. But gently rubbing a bright vinaigrette onto the cut greens also works to soften their texture, making for a wonderfully fresh salad with crisp, assertive notes. Top it with a few grilled baby carrots for an extra touch of color and you have a finished dish in under 30 minutes.For more quick-fix dinner ideas, check out our video recipe gallery here. Food Editor Russ Parsons and Test Kitchen manager Noelle Carter show you how to fix a dozen dishes in an hour or less.
Little Dom's Tuscan kale salad with grilled heirloom carrots
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
Note: Adapted from Little Dom's in Los Angeles
4 baby heirloom carrots, peeled
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon coarsely chopped oregano
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. In a small pot of salted, boiling water, blanch the carrots just until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and shock the carrots in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process, then drain and split lengthwise.
2. Toss the carrots in a bowl with the olive oil, one-eighth teaspoon salt, one-eighth teaspoon pepper, oregano and vinegar.
3. On a grill heated over medium-high heat, grill the carrots for grill marks and to warm through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in a warm place.
Salad and assembly
Juice of ½ lemon
Juice of ¼ orange
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch Tuscan kale, stems removed and julienned
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon and orange juice, shallots, vinegar, oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss in the kale, gently rubbing the dressing into the kale (the rubbing will soften the kale slightly).
2. Plate the salad, garnishing each serving with grilled carrots. Take any remaining dressing from the bottom of the bowl and pour over the carrots and salad. Serve immediately.
Each of 4 servings: 188 calories; 4 grams protein; 14 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 131 mg sodium.