"Defense spending is now being squeezed out of the budget because of the explosion in entitlement spending," Perry complains.
- Bio | E-mail | Recent columns
- McManus: Reshuffling Obama's Cabinet
- Goldberg: The right isn't waving a white flag
- McManus: Wielding wedge issues
- The presidential campaign, through the prism of polls
- The candidates' fashionable wives on the campaign trail
- Six numbers to ignore from the presidential campaign
- Executive Branch
- Regional Authority
See more topics »
If, after all that, you're still hoping for a recommendation on what book to take to the beach, here's this reviewer's bottom line:
Most readable: Sarah Palin, "Going Rogue."
Least readable: Mitt Romney, "No Apology."
Most difficult political tightrope act: Romney, "No Apology."
Most intriguing new author: Rick Perry, "Fed Up."
Most appealing life story: Tim Pawlenty, "Courage to Stand."
Most terrifying jeremiad: Newt Gingrich, "To Save America."