Apple Cranberry Pie
3 pounds tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla powder
1½ teaspoons finely grated orange zest
¾ cup fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
Half-and-half, and turbinado sugar for brushing on pie
1. Make the Cream Short Pastry dough and divide into 2 disks. Chill.
2. Peel, core and slice each apple; an Apple Master works magically for this.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, salt, corn starch, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla powder and orange zest; add the apple wedges and cranberries, and toss to blend.
4. On a silicone mat, roll out the bottom crust for the pie. Place in pie dish and gently press into all surfaces.
5. Mound the apple filling into the pie dish until it looks like there is just way too much to possibly fit…we are looking for supreme height.