An 8-year-old Indianapolis girl is getting credit for rescuing her 15-month-old cousin from a house fire.
Last Thursday, Aubri Bowles was staying at her grandparent's home in the 800 block of South Norfolk, when she looked up and saw flames shooting out of the fireplace.
She said she immediately told her grandmother, Leslie Bowles, what had happened and then she sprung into action. Bowles told said before she could even think of what to do, Aubri picked Zayden up, put on her grandfather's boots and ran out the door.
"She didn't even second think about getting anything, except for out that front door with that baby," said Bowles. "I'm proud of her. I am so proud of her."
Bowles said Aubri held onto Zayden while she knocked on her neighbor's doors and waited for fire crews.
"It was chilly out," said Leslie Bowles. "We didn't haven't coats on or anything. And she would not let go of him."
The fire was eventually put out, but Bowles and her husband lost clothes, furniture, and Christmas presents for their grandchildren.
"It's a lot," said Leslie Bowles as she teared up. "All that stuff can be replaced."
What's irreplaceable though, she said, is safe in her arms, because of her brave granddaughter.
"I never even realized that she could be this good," said Bowles.
Bowles and her husband are now living in a west side hotel until repairs are made to their home. They said they are still stunned at how much support they have received from their friends and neighbors.