2YH: Undecorating your home safely after the holidays are over

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - As the new year approaches, many if they haven't already will start to take down holiday decorations.

While it might seem like a simple task, it can actually be a dangerous one.

Things like ornament hooks, light strings, ladders, candles and power strips are all items that can pose a hazard in the home.

Sara Turcic with Safe Kids Alaska said people don't put as much energy into taking down decorations as they do putting them up.

Hospitals see a lot of ladder falls from both in and outside this time of year. Mini light bulbs are a choking hazard if they're loose and available to small children. Extension cords and power strips need to be rolled up properly to avoid tripping hazards and ornament hooks can do some damage.

"So these are sharp,they've got sharp pointed ends, they can impale into skin, hands feet and again little pet feet, so these need to be stored appropriately after decorations are taken off the tree," said Turcic.

Other things to keep in mind are button batteries. They can be a choking hazard if around small kids and store candles, matches and lighters away.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus