UPDATE: South Anchorage standoff ends in arrest of wanted Idaho suspect

By  | 

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) — 10:30 a.m. Update:

According to APD, the standoff on Ponderosa Drive, which began Monday and continued into Tuesday morning, has now also ended.

Unlike the ended SWAT situaiton on Shrub Court, the person on Ponderosa exited the home and surrendered to authorities.

Kevin Hurley, 49, was arrested and taken into custody for outstanding drug-related warrants in Idaho. APD said those warrants make him eligible to be extradicted back to Idaho, as well as facing additional charges for the standoff.

The turning point in the Ponderosa SWAT action came when AST fired gas canisters into the home, essentially smoking out Hurley, who had previously made suicidal threats.

Hurley was not injured in the standoff, APD reported.

6 a.m. Update:

According to APD, an adult male was found dead in a crawlspace inside the home previously under SWAT standoff protocol with APD.

The name of the man found dead in the home has not been released, and is pending the notification of his family. Detectives will take over the investigation into his death.

Another man was in the home on Shrub Court with the suspect who was later found dead. He left the building, according to APD, "almost immediately after SWAT deployed gas into the home."

Police say that man was detained for questioning after midnight. His identity has not been disclosed.

Meanwhile, regarding the warrant subject on Ponderosa Drive; APD is still on scene and is waiting for the arrival of AST SWAT to assist. That case is still active.

Police said that SWAT units with the Alaska State Troopers remain assisting at Ponderosa Drive, where there is still one standoff ongoing. APD said the man in that case refuses to leave the home, and negotiations are continuing.

Due to the ongoing nature of that SWAT call, residents are not allowed to enter the area. APD said the man found dead, and the other man involved in a stand off, do not appear to be related to one another.

This is a developing story.

Original Story:

Anchorage Police have evacuated a South Anchorage apartment building as officers attempt to arrest a man with an outstanding warrant who has refused to come out and has made suicidal threats and threats of suicide by cop.

APD SWAT was diverted from that scene to respond to an incident on the 8500 block of Shrub Court in the Muldoon area involving another barricaded subject armed with a sword and a firearm just after 6:45 p.m. Monday.

The suspect allegedly verbally assaulted a family member, but there have been no reports of injuries. The suspect is currently in the home with one other individual and is refusing to come out, according to APD.

Currently, Shrub Court is closed as well as its intersection with Early View Drive.

Meanwhile, in South Anchorage, officers attempted to serve a warrant at a residence on the 9500 block of Ponderosa Drive off of Hillside Drive around 4:30 p.m. Monday afternoon. Police made verbal contact with the man, who refused to come out. The man has since made suicidal threats and threats of suicide by cop.

Police have evacuated residents of the building as they attempt to persuade the man to surrender.

Nearby residents are asked to remain indoors and make sure doors and windows are closed in the event gas is deployed.

Ponderosa Drive is closed along with its intersection with Port Orford Drive.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus