UPDATE: Suspect identified in Wednesday shooting, stand-off

By  | 

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) — Update Thursday 10:50 a.m.:

Anchorage police identified the man arrested in Wednesday's shooting and stand-off on Ingra Street.

Dexter Topps, 49, was arrested at 4:18 p.m., police say, "without incident."

Topps faces charges of assault and charges of misconduct with a weapon.

Update 10:00 p.m.:

A Fairview resident shared dash camera footage of the moments leading up to Wednesday's standoff on 13th and Ingra.

Nathan Scriven of Fairview was running errands when he pulled up to the intersection of 13th and Ingra early Wednesday afternoon.

“As I stopped at the light, I heard three gunshots. And I saw a guy get up from the ground running alongside a yellow suburban," Scriven said. "He jumped into the back seat and took off and started heading towards the hospital.”

There's no way to be certain if the people in the video are actually transporting the shooting victim to a hospital. But the video shows the vehicle speeding away soon after Scriven says he heard the shots ring out.

Scriven says he was very satisfied with APD's rapid and efficient handling of the situation.

"I think they did a good job to neutralize the situation," he said.

But Scriven says he feels very unsafe living in that part of Fairview, which is why he always carries protection.

"Oh yeah. It's a good thing that you're allowed to carry," Scriven said. "And it's a good thing you're allowed to protect yourself. And things like this… you never know."

APD confirmed Wednesday the alleged gunman was taken into custody for further questioning, however, it is not yet known if he has been charged or remanded to custody.

Update 5:00 p.m.:

Traffic is flowing again on Ingra Street in the Fairview neighborhood of Anchorage. A police sergeant at the scene of a standoff that came after a reported shooting said the suspect was taken into custody at about 4:30 p.m.

Original Story:

Anchorage Police are investigating a shooting in Fairview Wednesday afternoon, and are engaged in a standoff with a suspect according to witnesses on the scene.

Ingra Street between 13th and 15th Ave. is currently closed.

According to a release by APD, officers responded to the 1300-block of Ingra street around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon in response to a shooting.

A heavy police presence is currently in the area, and witnesses say police appear to be engaged in a standoff with an individual or individuals who may have barricaded themselves in a building in the area.

APD says shortly after the shooting call, a victim arrived at a hospital with a non-life threatening gunshot wound.

No arrests have been made.

Police ask people to avoid the area.

This is a developing story.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus