UPDATE: School threat made by former West High student, principal says

By  | 

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - 12:30 p.m. Update:

West High Principal Sven Gustafson sent a note out to students and their family members early this morning that "late last night a perceived threat to the school had been posted on social media."

Gustafson said he worked through the night to get answers, and that a police and ASD investigation revealed a former West High Student had sent the message.

"This individual has been apprehended by APD and there never was any danger to our school," Gustafson said in the note.

"What happened here is what you want to have happen," Gustafson told Channel 2 in a phone call early this afternoon. "You want kids to be able to talk to you."

Worried students who'd seen the post told parents, and many parents and students told Gustafson and the police, he said.

The first alerts came in around 11 p.m. Wednesday night, according to Gustafson. "The system worked in this case," he said.

He was proactive with getting information out in order to alleviate student concerns, give closure to the incident and lessen the amount of worrying and wondering bound to take place at school today, he said.

Original Story:

A student in Anchorage was arrested by police after he allegedly posted a photo of guns online, containing an apparent threat to other students on Thursday.

The student in question has not been identified by name, due to his age, but according to APD, he posted a photo on social media of several guns inside a store gun case.

Along with the photo, police say the student "made a threatening warning" telling other students not to go to school today. The exact nature of the threat was not disclosed.

Students who saw the threat online Wednesday reached out to police to report it. Officers went to the student's house and interviewed him. They later "determined there was no active threat to schools today," APD wrote in a statement.

Despite there being no threat, the student was arrested and taken to McLaughlin Youth Center. The charges filed upon arrest were sent to the Department of Juvenile Justice, with APD explaining, "The threat itself warranted charges."

In an email sent to Anchorage School District families and employees, district superintendent Deena Bishop thanked APD for its "swift action" in the case.

"We appreciate the students, families, and staff who came forward to share the information. It allowed us to deal with this situation swiftly to ensure the safety of our schools," Bishop wrote in the email.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus