UPDATE: Attempted murder in Fairbanks leaves one severely wounded

By  | 

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTUU) - Jan. 31 Update:

Police in Fairbanks released more information Tuesday night regarding the incident that caused several area schools to be placed in lockdown.

According to Yumi McCulloch, spokesperson with FPD, the incident was the result of a shooting, allegedly by Benjamin James Kameroff Akaran.

A witness called police after hiding, saying a female friend had been shot, and that Akaran had shot at him as well.

Police in the area mobilized armored vehicles and an Alaska State Trooper helicopter to search the area. They located the female victim, who was rushed to the hospital with life threatening injuries, FPD said.

Later, Akaran was located just after 1 p.m. He was arrested at a home on Yale Way near the Chena Pump area on charges of attempted murder.

1:00 p.m. Update:

At 1 p.m., the Fairbanks Police Department issued a statement including just two words: "suspect detained."

FPD spokesperson Yumi McCulloch said that the schools have been released from lockdown, and they are not looking for anyone else.

The suspect has not been identified. McCulloch said that more information will be coming regarding the detention and the incident.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Original Story:

Several area schools in Fairbanks were thrust into lockdown mode, after police reported an armed suspect in the area.

In a community alert, the Fairbanks Police Department said that a "young male dressed in camouflage" was seen in the Aurora area. He is reportedly "armed," but FPD did not specify what he was armed with.

At around 11:20 a.m. Tuesday, Yumi McCulloch, public information officer with FPD, said that the call came in within the past half hour. The alert's severity is classified as "severe," with a "significant threat to life or property."

Two schools in the area, Randy Smith Middle School and Anne Wien Elementary School, were put into lockdown.

Residents in the area are being told to stay inside and call 911, if the armed young man is seen. Police said this has an "immediate" urgency.

The suspect has not yet been identified.