ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - The Anchorage Fire Department responded to a fire on 65th Avenue near Elmore Road Saturday around 4:30 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters say a motorhome and adjacent vehicle were completely engulfed in flames.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion at the time of the fire. According to AFD, the owner told them he had been trying to warm the motorhome using a propane heater. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but Fire Captain Dave Wallace says it's still a good reminder to take care when trying to warm up.
"People need to be careful with space heaters both inside and outside, because you never know when things are going to get hot enough that we have an unfortunate situation like this," said Wallace.
Firefighters were able to control the fire using a foam and water solution. No one was inside at the time of the fire, and no one was injured, but the motorhome and vehicle are considered total losses.
Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.