Firefighters put out fire on Thanksgiving in Fairview

Published: Nov. 29, 2019 at 11:44 AM AKST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A major structure fire looked a lot worse than it actually was Thanksgiving night.

Capt. Jared Steiglich with the Anchorage Fire Department says the structure was not occupied and thankfully there was no one hurt.

Multiple departments of AFD responded to the fire at 16th Avenue and LaTouche Street.

When crews arrived there was smoke coming out heavily from the windows.

Capt. Jared Steiglich said fire crews were prepared for anything when they arrived at the scene.

"With structure fires, the success comes with speed getting water on the fire, so our first engines make access and get water on the fire, look for occupants or fire exposures. Second-in engine will get the water supply, show up hit the hydrant, get water to the first in engine. Third-in engine gets a backup line to protect the first line then we have a rescue crew to in case something happens to a fire crew then an ambulance to show up to treat either occupants or firefighters, then we get the fire chiefs to take command of the incident and it is all something that is highly choreographed through intensive training and repeat and practice," said Steiglich.

AFD said the building had no power or water to it, and it looked like squatters may have been there.

It’s unclear what sparked the fire but AFD said it looks likes it started from one of the bedrooms.

Copyright 2019 KTUU. All Rights Reserved.

Latest News

Latest News