On Thanksgiving Day alone, more than 2000 kitchen fires occur across the nation.
The main culprit? Unattended cooking. Anchorage Fire Department Captain Landon Forth says, "When you are cooking on a stove top, never leave it unattended. Boil over happens, which means the liquids come outside of the pot, and end up into the flame and that can cause problems."
Forth also says it's very easy to get distracted, so making sure someone stays in the kitchen is key.
Another concern is cooking food through, and making sure leftovers are stored properly.