Multiple Houston patients treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

9 people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning Monday night in Houston.
By  | 

HOUSTON, Alaska (KTUU) - In Houston, a total of nine people were hospitalized Monday night for carbon monoxide poisoning.

City of Houston's fire chief, Christian Hartley, said emergency crews were notified of the incident at about 9:45 p.m., at a house off of Corn Street.

"Once I got on scene, we actually found six people right away - three of which were serious to critical," Hartley said.

Jeffery Munholland Sr. and Jeffery Munholland Jr. were among the patients treated.

Munholland Sr. said they had been using a generator in the basement. He said they thought there was enough ventilation, after their big generator broke down.

But after returning from grocery shopping an hour later, Munholland Sr. noticed he had a bad headache.

"It was bothering me so bad I had to get out for a little bit. I guess I drove to my friend's house, and I didn't know I drove over there. I passed out in his driveway, in my car," Munholland Sr. said. "He came out and got me inside his house. [He] was trying to figure out what was going on."

Munholland said his friend suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Shortly after, Brian Taylor went to Munholland's house to see if anyone else was sick and made sure everyone got out.

"I just stopped in and I helped pull the people out, there's there were 3 of them that couldn't move under their own power and I just did what had to be done I opened the windows in the house and that's all," Taylor said.

Taylor said he knew to open the windows and doors from training he did for the North Slope.

Hartley said everyone is expected to recover, but the situation could have been much worse had they waited to call someone for help.

"If they had waited even one more minute to call 911, 2 minutes we're not exaggerating at all there could have been fatalities in that house," Hartley said.

While he's already returned home from the hospital, Munholland said they're turning their focus to his son's girlfriend who was flown to Seattle for treatment.

"Everyone else is alright now, we're alright, we're just worried about her you know, she was living with us, I feel like it was my responsibility," Munholland said.

While Taylor doesn't want to be called a hero, he said it's something he'd do for anyone.

"They're family what else is there to say, it's they mean the world every human life means the world though it doesn't matter who they are what they do, I would have done it for anybody anybody that would have called," Taylor said.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus