Kindergartner among three dead in Friday morning fire

By  | 

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - 4:00 p.m. Update:

A home in Fairview is fully engulfed in flames. Photo by Lisa Felber.

Police have not released the identities of the three people killed in Friday morning's fire, but a school district spokesperson says one of them was a kindergarten student at Fairview Elementary School.

Friday was an inservice day at the school, and a full support crisis team will be at the school Monday.

12:50 p.m. Update:

Hours after a fire killed three people in a residence on E. 17th Avenue, a second, residual fire began in the neighboring unit.

According to AFD, it was the result of insulation consisting of primarily chunked up newspaper being hit with an ember, smoldering for some time, and then finally flaring up.

AFD said that all those in the house evacuated safely, and that fire fighters again responded to the scene to extinguish the secondary fire.

This is a developing story and will be updated with further information.

7 a.m. Update:

According to officers on the scene, three people are dead in the fire on E. 17th Ave. Their identities are not yet being released by authorities.

The cause of the fire has not yet been determined. AFD investigators are doing overhaul on the home where the fire began, attempting to trace its source. Officers are also looking to see if there were functioning smoke detectors inside the home.

Red Cross officials said they provided aid to several different groups affected by the fire. AFD confirmed that the units next door suffered some flame and smoke damage.

Original Story:

Firefighters in Anchorage were mobilized just after 1:30 a.m. Friday morning, after multiple sources reported a home on fire in the Fairview area.

According to the Anchorage Fire Department, multiple people have been injured. AFD said they could not immediately specify how many fire victims there have been, or how severely those victims were injured.

AFD Fire Marshall Cleo Hill said that the department was working on notifying family members of the incident. The house was located on the 1100 block of E 17th Ave.

Due to the large flames and volume of smoke, and the construction style of the homes, a second alarm was requested by the incident commander.

"It's a two-story townhome on fire here, and the nature of the building is that it's connected to other homes, so there was a large concern that the fire would spread to neighboring units, all filled with sleeping people," Hill said.

As depicted in a video submitted by a KTUU viewer, the entire front end of the home can be seen engulfed in flames.

The Red Cross was notified of the fire and assisted at least three separate families as AFD fought the fire.

At some point, the fire was declared under control. Hill said that now, investigators are inside the home that was first engulfed, doing overhaul and attempting to determine what caused the fire.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus