ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - Local residents and softball supporters are saddened after a fire at the Bumpus Ballfields in Wasilla burned several outhouses and parts of the dugout on Monday afternoon.
Heather Gottschling lives right next to the field and noticed the fire when she was outside with her kids, prompting her to call the fire department.
“We’ve been out here four years playing. We bought our house around here--it’s a really unfortunate,” she said, noting that there are often people walking dogs there during the day, “It’s a really treasured place.”
All of the games planned for Field 1 were cancelled because of the fires, though other games are ongoing.
Greg DeArmond, the director of the Mat-Su Softball Association, said that the fields and the porta potties were serviced earlier in the afternoon.
"I’m not a fire expert but things are a little out of the norm," he said. "They don’t explode in fire by themselves."
Still, he said the community was resilient.
"We're not going to let someone spoil our evening," he said after he served as umpire for one of the games.
This is an ongoing story. Check back for updates.
Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.