Suspect identified by murder victim in final words after Utqiagvik stabbing

By  | 

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - A young high school student was stabbed to death in the early morning hours of October 18. The victim, Crawford Sue Patkotak, was declared dead after being transported to the hospital with knife wounds in the neck and chest area.

In charging documents obtained by KTUU on Friday, the series of events leading up to the fatal altercation, and immediately following it, were detailed through eye witness testimony given to police.

In the documents, family members of Patkotak identified the suspect as Harry O. Ahkivgak, 19. Ahkivgak was a family member who was staying in the Patkotak household.

Police were first involved when they got a call from the emergency room that Patkotak was taken to. There, at around 7:22 a.m., a doctor told police that Patkotak had been the victim of a possible assault. Patkotak was declared dead just after 8 a.m., according to the document.

At the hospital, Samuel Patkotak, Crawford Sue's brother, told investigators that he was woken up by his brother, who was bleeding form his upper chest and neck area. "Harry f---ing stabbed me," Crawford Sue allegedly told Samuel.

These could have been the last words that Patkotak ever said. He was later found passed out on the ground in front of a downstairs washing machine.

Samuel told police he tried to call 911, but could not get good enough reception to dial. He then transported his bleeding brother in a truck to the hospital for treatment of his wounds.

Police responded to the home, and began to look for Ahkivgak. Investigators combed through the house, finding several knives covered in blood in plain view. Police say they found a blood trail leading down to the laundry room, and "a large blood smear" in front of the washing machine.

Police followed the blood through the house, eventually locating Ahkivgak in the garage. He was reportedly almost naked, standing on top of the family's boat, bleeding from stab wounds to his thighs that would later be determined to be self-inflicted.

According to the documents, Ahkivgak was holding a bloody knife, aimed squarely at his own chest. Police ordered him to drop it. He started to pass out, due to "serious blood loss," and eventually complied with police. "Harry [Ahkivgak] was disarmed without incident," police wrote in the document.

Days later, at the hospital, Ahkivgak was questioned by an older brother, Lyndon Itta. Itta told investigators that their mother, Mary Jane Ahkivgak, said "Harry misses his dad and has been suicidal." Lyndon stated Harry "tried to get the help he needed and said he didn't know what happened there or what went wrong."

At the hospital, Itta asked Ahkivgak what happened. "Harry stated he was angry and full of hatred," the document said.

Itta told police that Ahkivgak said, "They were messing with the lights to give me a seizure." Ahkivgak said he thought they were teasing him by flickering the lights on and off.

Ahkivgak admitted to his brother that he stabbed Patkotak in the neck. Ahkivgak made a motion across his neck with a balled fist to indicate what happened. He also said he had stabbed himself in the thighs following the incident.

KTUU reached out to the police with the North Slope Borough Police Department several times before the publication of this story. At no point did they respond for comment.