ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - Mat-Su Valley:
A fisherman tries hooking a sockeye salmon on the Russian River on an early opening day in 2019. (KTUU)
- In the last week, rainbow trout have been stocked in Reflections, Y, Tigger, Christiansen, Symore, Lalen, and Bear Paw Lakes.
- Kings are being spotted at Eklutna Tailrace. There is a youth-only day the third Saturday in June.
- For northern pike try plastic lures like a nightcrawler or black leach at Nancy, Anderson, or Memory Lakes.
- King salmon fishing at Ship Creek is only getting better! Lures and bait have been successful. Aim for getting there before high tide.
- Campbell and Chester Creeks are opening to fishing starting June 15th, but check regulations for restrictions in these areas.
- There are all kinds of great stocked lakes to try around town this week: Beach Lake for grayling, Mirror & Cheney Lakes for rainbow, and Sand Lake for arctic char, just to name a few.
- The Russian River Sanctuary has already reached surplus escapement for sockeye. As a result, bag limits for sockeye have increased to 6 per day from June 14 through July 14.
- Longmere, Sport, Loon, and Centennial Lakes have recently been stocked with rainbows.
- The Ninilchik River will be reopening June 16, with a good number of kings running. Be sure to check the adipose fin before removing from the water. Try small spinners for your best luck.