University reminds homeowners to test for radon gas after quake

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - After Nov. 30’s damaging earthquake, University scientists are reminding Alaskans that shifting ground may affect the radon levels in their home.

The University of Alaska Fairbanks Cooperative Extension Service says homeowners should re-test their homes for radon, a radioactive gas that’s the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking.

The Cooperative Extension Service says the test should be done after major earthquakes or floods, even if homes have already been tested.

Radon, a colorless, odorless gas, is found anywhere there is decaying uranium with an escape route to the atmosphere, and it can get into homes through cracks in the floors and walls where they contact the ground.

The Cooperative Extension Service has more information on radon here.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus