This time of year seems to bring out the best in everyone.
That’s exactly what the Dimond high school hockey team is trying to do with their 10th annual charity hockey game.
This year the game will benefit the Ronald McDonald House. The players are most looking forward to the atmosphere the crowd brings each and every year.
“It just makes it a big game,” Dimond sophomore Michael Flaherty said. “Lots of people showing up.”
But it’s more than just a game to them.
"I'm actually very honored to compete in a game like this,” Dimond junior Sam Sliwinski says. “It's a great cause but it's still going to be a tough game. We're going to have to put pucks in deep and just play as a team."
Head coach Dennis Sorenson says this is a teaching moment he enjoys sharing with his team each and every year.
“I think the big thing is that we’re able to teach the kids about community,” he said. “So that when they move on into society and become adults, that they understand that there’s giving people in the community.”
The Dimond players will be wearing special jerseys that have been designed specifically for this game and it's a highlight for the players each year.
"The jerseys. And it's just a fun atmosphere," Dimond sophomore Teague Porter said with a grin. "Everyone's wearing silly jerseys. Last year the jersey's were fun, you get to raise money for charity, and you feel good."
If you want to help donate, here’s what the Ronald McDonald House is looking for:
- Toiletries and Necessities:
• Slip-on sandals, women’s size 6-9
• Maternity pants and shorts
• Lanolin cream
• Feminine care products
• Travel sized baby body wash and lotion for babies
• Toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss
• Fleece pajama pants (women’s and men’s)
• Sweatpants and sweatshirts (women’s and men’s, size medium and up)
• T-shirts (women’s and men’s, size medium and up)
• Socks (women’s and men’s)
• Canvas tote bag
- Baby Items
*ALL TOYS AND CHILDREN’S PRODUCTS MUST BE NEW, UNOPENED AND NON-TOXIC:
• Umbrella strollers
• Bottle brushes
• Breast pads
• Infant sleep sacks and sleepers
• Wearable baby carriers
• Baby wipes
• Diapers: newborn, 2, 4 and 5 sizes
• Fleece baby blankets
• Flannel receiving blankets
• Small stuffed animals(new)
• Baby mittens
• Baby rattles and toys
- Pantry Items:
• Juice boxes
• Individually packaged snacks: breakfast bars, jerky, tuna snack kits, Nutella, Gold Fish crackers
• Canned soups and chili (16 oz. or smaller)
• Cup O’Noodles and macaroni and cheese cups
- House Needs:
• New children’s work books
• New children’s or adult books
• Ziploc bags – snack, sandwich and freezer
Dimond varsity will face off against the Service Cougars Thursday, December 13th at Ben Boeke at 6:30.
JV will play Wasilla at 5:00 at Ben Boeke.
Fans can bring their donations to either game at Ben Boeke.
The jerseys and socks the players will be wearing can be bid on at the game. All of those proceeds will go to the Ronald McDonald House.